Here's what I've learned about the game so far:
• In Ireland, there are four major teams for four provinces: Munster, Leinster, Ulster, and Connacht.
• A try is worth 5 points and is awarded when a player crosses the tryline at the end of the field and touches the ball to the ground.
• A conversion, worth 2 points, can be attempted after a try is scored. The kicker must place the ball between two posts at the end of the field.
• The game is played in two 40 minute halves.
• Players can only pass behind them.
• The “scrum” is the huddle in the middle of the field where the two teams push against each other to gain ground.
• The “hooker” is the most respected player on the team, and is in the center of the scrum.
• An old Irish Rugby joke- “It is the height of pride for a father when his son is the hooker for Munster. It is the height of shame for a father when his daughter is the hooker for Munster”.