Thursday, March 18, 2010

First Impressions

So the past couple of days have been a whirlwind of emotions! Getting off the plane, I was tired and hungry and felt completely lost. I was sure everyone knew I was a stupid American. However, when my host mother met me at the bus station, she gave me a hug and told me that I was "very welcome to Ireland!" She and the whole family have made me feel completely at ease here. Their house is beautiful, about 20 minutes from Galway City, and I have my own room and bathroom.

The family consists of the mother and father, a 7-year-old girl named Saoirse (pronounced Seersha), and a 14-year-old boy named Ruairi (pronounced Roory). Both children are very active and involved in hurling, swimming, and judo! The girl does Irish dancing and plays piano as well. I told them that they will have to take me to judo sometime, so that I can train while I'm here.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
We went into town to see the parade today. No school on St. Patrick's Day :) Most of the shops were closed to day, but I've been told that it's not that big of a deal here. It's mainly an excuse for people to hit the pubs, which are pretty much the only places that stay open. I guess the custom of pinching people if they don't wear green is totally American. The kids got a kick out of it when I told them about though, and kept referring to it throughout the day. "You can't pinch me, I'm wearing green!"

No comments:

Post a Comment