Thursday, March 18, 2010

First Day of School

Love the school, love the teachers. The children are awesome. They are all very curious, and they have the most beautiful eyes!

Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. My little sister goes to this school and was very excited to introduce me to everyone :) I spent my first day walking around and visiting different classrooms of ages ranging from 5 to 10. I read to some of the classes, including a chapter from Charlotte’s Web. I also had the opportunity to play on a guitar and sing for a class :) The first year teacher plays songs to his class often, and he welcomed me with an Irish tune. Then, the kids decided that I should have to play for them as well! I played “Leaving on a Jet Plane” and they enjoyed it. They were singing along with me by the end. The children are all learning Irish in school, as well as English, and at times the teachers will switch to Irish when teaching. I will be learning right along with my students!

Sláinte! (pronounced ‘slauncha’, meaning “good luck”, or “cheers”)

No comments:

Post a Comment